Wondering whether you have to be really smart to take part in an escape room game?
Looking for some insight into the importance of IQ in a successful escape adventure?
Wondering why you struggle more than others in an escape room and searching for some inspiration on how to be more confident?
Well, you’ve come to the right place!
In this blog post, we will explain why you don’t need a high IQ to do an escape room and give tips on improving your escape room skills.
Sneak-peek into the post
Here’s how we’ll go about dismantling the escape room IQ myth:
- We’ll begin with a look at the escape room concept, focusing on the kinds of puzzles and tasks you can expect to encounter.
- Then we’ll address the key question – do you have to be really smart to escape an escape room?
- We’ll see why this belief arises and lay out the reasons why it ain’t true!
- We’ll follow up on that with a brief look at how players with different abilities and skill levels can enjoy an escape room – and a few tips on how you can improve your escape room skills.
Let’s dive right in!
What are escape rooms?
Escape rooms are immersive, live-action experiences that challenge participants to solve puzzles, crack codes, and find hidden clues to “escape” a themed room within a specified time limit.
For example, our Sherlock Holmes escape game challenges you to locate and destroy a diabolical weapon inside a secret laboratory within 60 minutes.
Taking a closer look at the concept
Originating in Japan and quickly spreading worldwide, escape rooms have taken the world by storm.
As we shall see, they’re designed to test your problem-solving skills, teamwork, and creativity, while being a thrilling adventure and a memorable experience.
What are the different kinds of challenges you can expect to encounter in an escape room?
Some of the most common challenges you can face in an escape room are:
- Solving puzzles.
- Breaking codes.
- Finding objects inside secret panels and hidden compartments.
- Figuring out how to open unusual locks.
- Physical challenges.
Are escape rooms really only suitable for the brainy?
With that in mind, we arrive at the key query of this blog post – do you need a high IQ to play an escape room?
As we shall see, this isn’t true…
How did this belief come about?
Well, we just covered how escape rooms feature challenges ranging from breaking codes to unlocking unusual locks.
That’s probably why many people associate escape room games with high IQ.
In reality, however, escape rooms require a wide range of skill sets and abilities, ensuring that everyone can join in the fun and excitement!
Escape rooms are only for certified geniuses – debunked!
Let’s check out a few examples of how qualities other than IQ come into play in an escape room.
Someone with a high IQ may want to persist with a puzzle they can’t figure out, while a player with EQ – Emotional Quotient, a.k.a. Emotional Intelligence – will know that they need to move on.
Many of the challenges we saw above will require skills like sharp observation, physical dexterity and good communication – which have nothing to do with IQ.
Time management is critical in an escape room – you can guess why (remember the time limit)!
Finally – an escape room is always a group experience. Having players with different skills on your team is more important than the IQ of any individual person.
Why do some people struggle with escape rooms?
Escape rooms are aimed at everyone.
However, it’s true that some people might find them more challenging than others.
Let’s take a look at why that might be:
- Inexperience: If you’re new to escape rooms, it might take some time to get used to the gameplay.
- Overthinking: Sometimes, the simplest solution is the correct one! Overthinking can lead to confusion and missed opportunities.
- Difficulty level: Escape rooms come in various difficulty levels, and trying a room that’s too challenging can be frustrating.
- As you will see on our games page, we give each of our adventures a difficulty score – the higher the score, the more difficult the game. A lot of escape rooms follow this practice.
- If you’re unsure, don’t hesitate to contact the escape room in question and ask them how difficult the game of your choice is.
- Poor teamwork: If your team isn’t working well together, it can hinder your progress. Communication and collaboration are key in escape rooms.
- Time pressure: The ticking clock scenario can stress some players out, making it harder to think clearly.
What skills are needed to do well in escape rooms?
Key escape rooms skills include practical everyday abilities, including:
- Emotional intelligence
How escape rooms can actually help improve these skills
As you tackle the challenges in an escape room, you’ll naturally develop and hone these essential skills.
Not only do escape rooms provide a fun and engaging environment, but they also offer real-life situations that require teamwork, quick thinking, and effective communication, which ultimately help you improve these skills both inside and outside the escape room.
Tips for boosting your escape room skills and abilities
Here are a few tips:
- Practice makes perfect – play more escape rooms! In fact, book an escape room for yourself right now!
- Work on your communication skills.
- Stay organized and manage your time effectively.
Frequently asked questions about whether you need to be really smart to play an escape game
From whether smart people are really better at escape rooms to what skills are useful – find all the frequently made queries answered here!
Do you have to be smart to succeed in an escape room?
You do not have to be a certified genius to succeed in an escape room!
While being smart can be helpful, what truly matters is teamwork, communication, and all the other skills that we talked about before.
Lost Reality Adds: Our escape games include various kinds of challenges. Trust us, whether any single player is “smart” or not doesn’t matter – it’s all about teamwork!
What kind of people typically enjoy escape rooms?
Escape rooms are a hit with people from all walks of life and on various kinds of occasions! From families to friends looking for a day out, coworkers wanting to bond outside of work, and even first dates, these thrilling experiences cater to diverse interests and abilities.
Lost Reality Adds: We should also mention that escape rooms are suitable for almost all ages. To summarize, whether you’re a competitive player, a casual player or a complete beginner, we have a game for you!
Are smart people better at escape rooms than others?
Yes and no. Let us elaborate.
Yes, smart people may excel at certain aspects of an escape room – for example, solving certain kinds of puzzles.
However, as we’ve been telling you, an escape room requires a multi-skill approach, so you should focus on putting together a well-rounded team with diverse skills rather than obsessing over your own IQ.
Lost Reality Adds: Our rooms include various kinds of puzzles and challenges. It’s virtually impossible to gauge who will do well and who will struggle. We’ve had first-timers crack our most challenging room with ease and seasoned escapologists struggle through our least challenging room. It all depends on how well the team collaborates with one another.
What kind of people tend to do well in escape rooms?
The real escape room MVPs are those who can:
- Communicate effectively with their team.
- Observe and find hidden clues.
- Think creatively and critically.
- Collaborate and work well under pressure.
Why do some people not enjoy escape rooms?
Different strokes for different folks, as they say!
Some people just prefer other kinds of activities, like axe throwing or hiking. Others may not much like the time limit/ticking clock aspect.
You can always check out other things to do if you want!
Lost Reality Adds: If you’re getting put off by the prospect of facing puzzles that you feel you won’t be able to tackle, don’t be! Remember, the challenges in an escape room are designed to be tricky – that’s part of the charm! If you’re stumped, ask your team to help, or holler for clues from the game master!
What skills are useful for succeeding in escape rooms?
Here are a few of the most crucial escape room skills and abilities:
- Emotional intelligence (i.e. knowing when to move on from a puzzle, how to stop a potential quarrel between team members and so on)
- Quick thinking
- Time management
Do escape rooms require a high IQ?
No, you don’t have to be MENSA-grade to enjoy an escape room experience.
While intelligence can be helpful, success in escape rooms relies on a combination of skills and teamwork.
Lost Reality Adds: Wondering whether you’ll need prior knowledge in a game? Generally speaking, escape rooms are supposed to focus on creative thinking and collaboration. As far as Lost Reality Escape Room in Perth is concerned – you won’t need any prior knowledge to solve our rooms.
Why might someone struggle with escape rooms?
A few reasons someone might struggle with escape rooms include:
- Obsessing over a single challenge
- Tackling a room that’s too difficult
- Poor teamwork
- Time pressure
But hey, practice makes perfect! Keep at it, and soon you’ll be unlocking victory like a seasoned pro!
What are some things you can do to improve your chances of beating the game?
An entire blog post could be written on how to win an escape room!
That being said, we’d say communication is a key component of a good team. If you’re struggling with completing a room, try working on effectively communicating with your group members.
Another thing you can do is simply keep trying more and more adventures! No one finishes their first room with ease.
The more practice you get solving puzzles and thinking in new ways, the better you’ll get at escape rooms!
Are escape rooms only for high-IQ players – key points
In conclusion, escape rooms are definitely not just for the brainy! They cater to various skill sets and interests, making them an exciting activity for everyone.
Some resources for you to check out to learn more about escape rooms
- Check out our blog post on different kinds of escape rooms to gain insight into the various types of adventures there are out there and a few mistakes to avoid.
- Online forums and communities, like Reddit’s r/escaperooms.
- Escape room review websites, such as Escape The Review and Room Escape Artist.
Time to try it out yourself!
Hopefully, you’re rid of the superstition that is folks need a high IQ to take part in an escape room.
Now it’s time to try it out yourself and see how our claims stack up!
Not sure what to wear for your adventure? Visit our escape room outfit post for fashion tips.
Have other questions? Go through the less frequently asked questions post.
You can also get in touch with us directly!
Buckle up, and start planning your adventure today!